Wednesday 26 July 2017

Health and Retirement Years

The doctor finally uttered the word “Remission.” All I could felt was joy beyond comprehension. After being on medication for over a year and a half to treat my hyperthyroidism, I can finally stopped taking the tapazole medication to lower my overactive glands. However, I will still need to have T3 and TSH blood testing done to ensure that the recovery is a permanent one.

I truly believe now that the greatest wealth is one’s health. There was a study that recently concluded that money can buy happiness, but the happiness is only limited to material purchases that are not everlasting.  As I contemplate embarking my journey towards my retirement years, I feel that I am in better health than ever. I feel  10 years younger physically. I am rejuvenated. I am more confident than ever. I work out constantly , doing both cardio and resistance training five to six days per week averaging 45 minutes per session. I even ran a 5K race with people half my age and finished in the top ten despite a strenuous hill climb..  According to health experts, we should be averaging 150 minutes of exercise per week.

There is also a strong correlation between one’s health and happiness. And this is so true, especially since we are blessed with living in one of the best countries in the world -Canada.  The healthcare and the social safety net systems are among the best in the world.   You can get your blood tested, go to see your doctor, and you don’t need to pay a cent! You can also retire penniless-and yet the Canadian government will provide you OAS and GIS for the rest of your life! And there are other benefits, too such as the Trillium Drug Plan, rebate for hydro usage, GST rebates and others.

My personal goal is to try and be disease free until I am at least 70 years old, or about 17 years from now. I feel that it is an achievable goal given my current fitness regime and being conscious about my diet to not overindulge. True, I can’t escape calamities such as being stricken with cancer all of a sudden, but that is life and that will be a card I have to deal with when the time comes.

Too often, we only focus on the financial aspect of retirement. It is great to be able to travel around the world, but you have to be healthy enough to do so.


So, what are your retirement goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment